Tattoo Removal Aftercare & Pre-care AdviceBy Laser HRH, 6 May 2018
Before visiting Laser HRH for your tattoo removal, please carefully read through our pre and post tattoo removal instructions. This guide is designed to help you achieve your desired outcome as quickly as possible & with little to no complications.
Our technicians will provide you all the information you need for before & after your tattoo removal treatment, however, once you leave the clinic, it is up to you to adhere to our instructions. Please contact us immediately if you have any questions.
Before your Tattoo Removal
- You may wish to take pain relief medication approximately an hour before your session, though we suggest you avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatories.
- Numbing cream needs to be applied 45 minutes prior to your appointment, wrap it up in cling wrap to help the numbing cream absorb into the skin.
Tattoo Removal Aftercare
This first week is when most of the healing process takes place, please be very careful with the area treated and do contact Laser HRH if you do have any concerns.
- Ice packs can be applied 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off to reduce swelling and discomfort
- Avoid direct sun exposure for as long as you can
- Avoid prolonged exposure to water and excessive heat on the skin for up to 72 hours after your treatment (for example, water pressure from a long shower, exercise, swimming, soaking in a bath).
- We recommend only warm, light showers after 24 hours.
- Avoid scratching and touching the laser & surrounding area – bacteria on your hand & in your nails getting into the freshly lasered sensitive skin can lead to infection.
- Be careful with your body and avoid injuring the area.
- The area should be treated delicately for the first few days as it is healing.
- Heavy exercise should still be avoided for the first 2-7 days or until the swelling has been resolved.
- DO NOT pick at the skin, if it scabs let it fall off on its own
- DO NOT shave the area
- DO NOT pop or pick the blisters
- NO swimming in pools or hot tubs until healed
- The area should be cleaned with water while in the shower and pat dry
- Avoid sun exposure – If sun exposure is unavoidable apply a thick layer of zinc oxide based SPF & re-apply every 2 hours
What to expect after Tattoo Removal Treatments
Frosting & Small Blisters
Immediately after the tattoo is treated with the laser there is a process that happens called frosting. The frosting is a reaction of the ink and laser that causes tiny little bubbles and creates a white or frosted appearance to the colour. Blisters may also form in this time frame. Frosting typically resolves from 15min to a few hours after the treatment.
There is sometimes a little bruising under the skin which we call pinpoint bleeding. This is a normal response to the treatment.
Swelling & Redness
The skin around the tattoo can sometimes show signs of swelling and redness up to a 1 Week after treatment. Heavy exercise should be avoided for the first 2-7 days or until the swelling has been resolved.
*Failure to follow these after-care instructions may result in undesired side effects and may also affect your long-term results.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our friendly technicians at Laser HRH here.